We can learn a lot from children. If you take a kid to the park, within 15 minutes they will have 5 new best friends. Stick an adult in an elevator with 5 other people they don’t know, and all you will get is silence.
Being only 6 months old my boy is too young to run around at the park making new friends, but still he provides me with some valuable life lessons.
1. Make people feel special: my little boy, Xavier, is such a happy and healthy baby. Most of the time when he sees somebody his face lights up and he gives them a big gummy smile. He makes everyone feel so special, and they love him for it.
2. Be curious: Xavier will try to grab anything that is near him. And he is constantly trying new things (you have never seen a baby try harder to crawl!). Without a doubt, he shows the sparks of curiosity that I believe are so important in life.
3. Let people know if something is bothering you: when Xavier is upset – whether because of hunger or a dirty nappy (or diaper as they say here in Canada) – he lets us know! Now, I don’t suggest you cry and scream whenever something is wrong, but why not let someone else know when you need help? So often all we need to do is ask for a helping hand and people will be happy to oblige.
4. Have no fear: if someone wasn’t there to stop him, my little boy would do some crazy things (eg launch himself off the couch). Whilst I don’t recommend recklessly risking your health and safety, I see so many people who let fear run their lives. Are you one of them?
5. Get enough sleep: I certainly don’t recommend sleeping between 14 – 15 hours (the amount of sleep a 6 month old needs each day) but it is important to get enough sleep. How much sleep do you need? Only you will know – I have read stories of people need only 4 hours sleep each night, others need a full 8 hours. The point is this: work out how much you need then make sure you get it.
6. Be cute: the girls love it :) .